After a rigorous school naming process and careful consideration of the community's input the Lockhart ISD School Board decided to name the new elementary school, Alma Brewer Strawn Elementary, during Monday's, June 22, Regular School Board meeting.
The School Board agreed that the top 5 names were all worthy candidates. However, the one that stood out was Alma Brewer Strawn Elementary. Which honors Ms. Alma Brewer Strawn, for her lifelong dedication as an educator for Lockhart ISD, great female community role model, and her ties to Lytton Springs.
Some interesting facts about Ms. Strawn:
- Born and raised in Lytton Springs and lifelong citizen of the area.
- Since childhood, attended school in Lytton Springs and Lockhart.
- Taught in Lockhart ISD for over 40 years.
- At a time when women rarely attended college, Ms. Strawn got a college degree and devoted a large part of her life to her passion for teaching.
- She was a single mom of two girls and a pillar of the community.
- She positively influenced many young lives for many years in the community, including current school board members.
- An interesting fact, she rode a horse to school each day from 2 miles outside of Lytton Springs.
Stay tuned for District communication regarding the Ground Breaking Ceremony for the Alma Brewer Strawn Elementary in Lytton Springs. Thank you for the terrific community involvement during the rigorous school naming process.
You may view the conceptual design of Alma Brewer Strawn Elementary at: